Saturday, August 20, 2011

The American Government

As I read the words of King Solomon, I am saddened.




"Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:


I saw the tears of the oppressed -


and they have no comforter;


power was on the side of their oppressors -


and they have no comforter.


And I declared that the dead,


who had already died,


are happier than the living,


who are still alive.


But better than both


is he who has not yet been,


who has not seen the evil


that is done under the sun [...]


If you see the poor oppressed in a district,


and justice and rights denied, do not be surprised


at such things; for one official is eyed


by a higher one, and over them both are others higher still."


-Ecclesiastes 4-5:8



I am saddened because I am reminded of all of the governments of the world, and yes even our government here in the United States of America. I hear of many corruptions and wrong doings of the government officials and I long for a day when I can be proud of the individuals that represent the people of America. You see, I have begun to loose that pride. I can remember a time, not so long ago, as a young child when I wanted to become an elected official, even the President of the United States. With the same childish desire I wanted to become a doctor or a firefighter, the heros of our country that save lives and guardian the welfare of America's people. I felt that if I was able to become a part of the governing body of the U.S. then I would be a part of something that was worth taking pride in. I could be a part of something where I could make a difference. Now that childish pride is gone. I am in no way against the U.S. Military! I will make that clear now. I still take great pride in the men and women that sacrifice so much for our country and our freedoms, and I pray the day never comes when that pride is lost too. I am not against governments either. I am, however, against a government that I have lost faith in. There was once a time in America where people would salute the Flag and say these words:



"I pledge allegiance to the flag


of the United States of America,


and to the republic for which it stands,


one nation under God, indivisible,


with liberty, and justice for all."



I honestly can't remember the last time I heard the pledge of allegiance. I know many people share these feelings with me. They share my dissatisfaction with our government. They are upset over the corruption and seeming lack of concern for the American People. They expect the government to fix the economy and to stand the nation back up. I must honestly admit that this is too much to expect from the government. Even the best can sometimes fail, and so we can't expect our officials to fix the economy or to be faultless humans; we must also realize that sometimes we will face hardships. That is just a part of life.


We can expect the government to try, and not just a superficial effort but a determined one. We can certainly expect them to have a heart for the people and to be upright, righteous, and good men (and women) free from corruption. We can only expect these things if we use care to elect officials that meet these standards. I will assert that a person with a true heart for the American People will do much more for the Nation than an expert who is only self devoted as an elected official. The true man will take the time to learn the needed skills to do the job with the people's interest at heart and will likely consult the expert anyway. The expert, on the other hand, what reason has he to consult the true man? This in no way means that an expert can't be a true man. This means that when we elect officials we should look not just at their skills but at their hearts too, which can be just as, if not more, important.



This first portion has been aimed at the American citizens, but now I will move on to the members of the government. I ask that you would return to being a government that I have pride in. Worry less about getting reelected and think more of your duty. I ask you to resist the allure of power and keep the American People in your hearts. I personally don't expect you to fix every problem in the nation, that is not your job. Your job is to represent all of America's children, of which you are a part. I ask you to be the heros that I invisioned as a child, because perhaps, you too once dreamed of being the government official that you are so that you could be an American Hero, something to be proud of.



These are just my thoughts. I don't know how many will see them, but I hope that regaurdless of how many see this that, there are some out there that agree with me. Please keep this in mind as a new election approaches.




-adam

1 comment:

His Doorkeeper said...

Adam, Enjoyed your thoughts. You are so young and all us "older" people remember when our gov't was a God-fearing establishment. But I don't think that is a true statement these days. BUT, I do believe our God is still on the throne, still able to upseat any man, be it the President or whoever, and our country will bow the knee once again! Never give up hope.

Praying for you as you get ready to go back to school!!
Blessings!